Giving students real-world experience
The IoD Leadership Shadowing Scheme is part of our Future Leaders programme and provides a unique opportunity for sixth-form students to learn about leadership through an onsite placement, observing first-hand how leaders motivate, advise and support the people they work with.
The IoD's Leadership Shadowing Scheme, sponsored by KPMG, has been running in Guernsey for many years and has received huge support from the Guernsey business community. The students selected to participate shadow a leader over two or three days to establish a ‘one-to-one’ relationship. As well as observing the leader in a variety of situations, students are encouraged to ask questions about the approach to, and style of, leadership.
Leadership shadowing is different to work experience; this programme is focussed on observation. Students present their learnings and insights in a four-minute presentation to a panel of judges, with the top 10 students re-performing their presentations at a high-profile finals evening held at KPMG.
Places in the scheme are limited and those who are selected to take part will shadow a business leader and establish a one-to-one relationship. Through the scheme, students will:
- Learn from a variety of Guernsey’s top leaders
- Build their network
- Enrich their CV
- Enhance their presentation and interview skills
- Gain confidence in a workplace environment
Leadership Shadowing in 10 Steps
- Students attend the programme launch at school.
- Complete and submit the online application form by the end of February.
- Source Recruitment will contact students to arrange dates for their placement and provide all the necessary details to ensure a positive experience.
- Students complete their placement over a two to three day period during the Easter or summer holidays.
- Students are given professional presentation skills training in school by Orchard PR.
- Students prepare their four-minute presentation.
- Students make their presentations to a friendly judging panel during September and October.
- Finalists are selected to repeat their presentations to judges and audience at the KPMG awards evening
All students receive certificates and all finalists receive prizes. The overall winner is awarded the Martyn Mann Trophy.
Applications for the 2023 scheme have now closed.